Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Contributor
herptwerp

Baby Brown Anole Care

I posted this subject last evening, hoping to have some responses by now, but apparently it did not make it with the new forum changes  and I will have to post it again.

Yesterday my mother brought home a baby brown anole she found at Lowes where she works. It is is about 1 1/2 inches long including the tail;(my mother had found one before but did not have the proper setup or know what to feed it and little Ridley passed away a week later) I am unsure of the age, but she said she had tried to catch it two months ago. I have looked up what to feed an anole of that size and I watched a video of a week old green anole eating fruit flies off of someone's hand, so I will try those today.As for the cage setup, we currently have a 15 gallon tank it could live in as well as a 75 watt basking spot bulb and a 60 watt infrared bulb. I know anoles need UVB but as for how much I am unsure. Any and all information regarding how I could properly care for the little one would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
BeardedDragonGirl

Re: Baby Brown Anole Care

I would set it free if it's from the wild and just buy one from petco if you really want one.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

You will definitely need UVB, and make sure you're using good vitamin and calcium supplements. As it grows, make sure you get it into something larger (or even prior to it growing!). A completely screened enclosure is preferable, as they can be prone to respiratory problems without adequate circulation/ventilation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
herptwerp

I tried to feed it some fruit flies today by placing them into the cage, but a lot of them crawled out and even though there are still some in there, I am unable to tell whether it is eating them or if they merely left the cage. I do not think there is much else it can eat since it is so small. Would the 60 watt heat bulb be enough for now? It is the smallest wattage I have. Also, is there a way to keep the flies inside the tank? I cannot release it into the wild because, unfortunately, it was shipped with a plant from Florida and the climate here is unsuitable for a tropical species to survive. I only took it home because we wanted to care for it.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Larvae from Confused Flour Beetles can be used. The 60W will probably be fine for a basking lamp, but the UVB is extremely important, and needs to be added ASAP.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
herptwerp

Is there a store from which I can purchase Flour Beetles? Because unless there is a market for them, the only place I could really look is in my cupboards.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

You can find them online at various sources for dart frog supplies, They are used by many Dendrobatid keepers as frog food.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
beardielover

you can try some meal worms too
Please use plain text.
Contributor
herptwerp

I think the last time I was here I mentioned finding a brown anole and was asking for advice on how to care for it. So, for those who were concerned and might still be wondering about it, here is an upate:

Well, first off, they(yes, there are two now) are both doing very well. Magnum(the one we first found) learned to eat small crickets shortly after we gave them to him as we were concerned whether he was eating or not until my mother took a picture of him scarfing down a good sized  one. We found Nami(the second one) in the same place as the first and my mother had to bring it home; she soon learned to eat and they both seem to get along quite well at this point. They are both about three inches long, but Magnum seems to be slightly larger and is a male, since he has the dewlap under his throat. Nami seems to be a girl since she lacks a dewlap and is usually a lighter color. They both currently reside in a 10 gallon tank and will be moved into a larger one soon. They have a nicely decorated terrarium with reptile-safe live plants for which to sit on and have their house sprayed with warm water twice a day. Also, they have a 13 watt UVB bulb that is working well. They don't like mealworms but eat mostly crickets along with some fruit flies. They seem to be getting used to being near people, although they will not allow you to pick them up, which is fine with me as long as they are happy and healthy. It really is amazing what you can find on plants these days!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
KatS

Thanks for an update. It is great when people come back on and let us know how the animals are doing. Too many times they post something and never come back on to the forum so it leave you wondering. I'm so glad that your mom rescued them and you sent the money to have them properly set up

I wouldn't worry about picking them up. They are one lizard that does much better in my opinion not handling them. Just make sure that you replace the UVB bulbs every 6 months. The spectrum they need will dissipate and then you are are left with just a florescent light.

Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store