Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Ature

How to make a Ferret not smell?

Does anyone know if there's a spray or pill of some sort that I can use? My dad doesn't want to let me get one because of the smell. My responsibility or my competence is not the question. It's just that his brother owned one when he was younger and they smelled horrific (or so IM told). I've done the research and I know what to do to take care of a ferret and I have plenty of time for him, but what of the smell?

Please use plain text.
Slinky09

Re: How to make a Ferret not smell?

I clean out the poop every day and all the litter and blankets and stuff once a week. I use an air purifier air freshener and candle
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
KatS

I know a couple people with ferrets said that once they changed their ferret's diet that it helped the odor. At the store they have to fed Marshall Ferret Food. Also there is a water additive that seems to help called Good Bye Order. 

The one thing that you don't want to do is give them too many baths. That will make them smell even more. Cleaning the litter box every day to two times a day will also go a lone way in reducing odors.

Please use plain text.
VIP
whiskandbowl

Ferrets do have a musky odor, but it shouldn't be any more overpowering than the smell of a dog or cat.

Here are my tips for controlling odor:
-Scoop litter daily. Use a ferret safe litter.
-Do not use disposible bedding as this tends to hold odor.
-Spot clean the cage daily. I wipe mine down with Natures Miracle
-Wash all hammocks and bed weekly with hypoallergenic detergent.
-Do not overbathe. Once a month max, but 1-2 times a year is preferred.
-Feed a good diet. This has been the best tip for me. Ferrets fed cheap food will stink!
Kibble should have at least 35% protein, 20% fat, and less than 3% fiber. At LEAST 4 of the first 6 ingredients should be meat. I feed my ferrets Wysong Ferret Epigen 90, Natures Variety Instinct Duck, and Wellness Core.

Beware of using scented sprays, litters, air fresheners, etc as some ferrets are sensitive to fragrance.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
KatS

Whiskandbowl, have you tried the raw food from Natures Variety or do you use the dry kibble? I have heard some very good results from the raw food for ferrets.

I agree with the caution of scented sprays, litters, air fresheners. Ever since I lost a bird to a plug in I'm very careful what I use in my house because of my animals. 

Please use plain text.
VIP
whiskandbowl

I use the dry kibble but have bought the raw before in the past.
Please use plain text.
Isendre

Keeping the cage clean is crucial to keeping odor down. Also look for descented  ferrets, ive had both and my current descented ferrets ( I have three) do not have an odor as long as I keep thier cage, bedding and hammocks clean.. These animals are high maintanence and require alot of attention so please consider this before you get one.. 

Please use plain text.
VIP
whiskandbowl

Descenting has nothing to do with general ferret odor/ body odor. It only removes their ability to "poof" which smells a lot like passing gas and dissapates quickly. I have friends with "intact" ferrets and they say they do not smell any more strongly than the ferrets who have been "descented"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
iHeartFerrets1915

I have two ferrets in a 600 sq ft apartment and no one knows that I have them because they DONT smell.  The main thing that helped was a diet change.  Find a food that has NO Fish in it....No fish meal..no fish oil....and it will help with litter box and skin odor.   Another thing that you can do is ocasionally get some soil ( make sure it has no fertilizer or additives) from a garden store....put it in a box and let the ferrets burrow and play...it cleans off excess odors!

Lisa
Camaro&Chevelle

Please use plain text.
wader465

I have heard that if you use any chemicles around the ferret, the ferret can get sick.

Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store